Managed mobility services, or mobility as a service (MaaS), is an area of enterprise mobility which feels almost hot and cold at the same time: while awareness is low, the opportunity is high.
The idea is great on paper. Analyst firm Ovum put together a research report highlighting the six key components of an end to end enterprise mobility solution:
- Mobile device management (MDM)
- Mobile app management (MAM)
- Telecoms expense management (TEM)
- Identity and access management (IAM)
- Network access control, and
- Mobile app development platform (MADP)
With mobility as a service, you take the majority of these features and outsource them. Eventually, you end up treating mobility rollouts like some organizations treat their cloud deployments: and take all the complexity out of it, putting it all safely in the hands of a third party specialist instead of struggling to work out how much you’re paying for per instance.