Every year, mobile employees are downloading more and more applications to get work done. This year, smartphone users will download more than 200 billion apps—by 2022, that figure will exceed 250 billion, marking an almost 50% increase in five years’ time.
So, how has the mobile app industry grown to become a powerhouse that will generate revenues of almost $189 billion in 2020? While the answer is a combination of several factors, most workers point to the convenience and personalized experiences these solutions offer.
In fact, today’s mobile employees spend almost 90% of their device usage time inside apps versus surfing the web. For smartphone users, this trend is even more dramatic—97% of usage time is focused purely on favorite apps (including 50% on the number one app of choice).
With so much media buzz and innovation surrounding the mobile app space, let’s look at some of this week’s hottest app-focused tech news:
- Cryptocurrency Wallet Coming to WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and Telegram
- This small team is building a social credit system app for China’s youth
- WhatsApp test highlights frequently forwarded messages to curb fake news
- How Instagram could stop squatters from hoarding usernames
- Android ecosystem of pre-installed apps is a privacy and security mess
Do you need help supporting and deploying apps to your mobile workforce? Talk to Tangoe’s global experts to see how our industry-leading Managed Mobility Services (MMS) solutions can help!